Wednesday, February 16, 2011

I hereby declare Recipe Wednesday!

even more purple in real life

Sticky Balsamic beets with Greek basil and cottage cheese
 
3 large beetroot
3 tbsp balsamic vinegar(aged is all the better)
olive oil 1/4 cup
thyme sprigs
Greek basil small bunch washed and dried
zest of 1 lemon
cottage cheese
sea salt and pepper

Cut the beets into quarters or smaller, get yourself a good sheet of foil and lay it in baking dish.
Arrange beets, toss them in the olive oil add the few lugs of balsamic and thyme sprigs.
Fold over the foil like an envelope, making sure juices stay in.

During cooking check them and re-toss them adding more oil or balsamic if needed.
Roast for 1 and 1/4 hour on 190 deg c. or till beets are tender and beautiful.

Remove from foil saving all those yummy juices. Plate it onto your platter and when warm dollop over cottage cheese drizzled with more olive oil salt and pepper. Garnish with torn basil leaves and lemon zest.
Enjoy.

Another summer recipe, just to kick off my first Recipe Wednesday:

summer salad, outside

Summer pasta with Eggplant and pangritata

I have to share my most excellent pasta dish using my one home grown eggplant and my lovely neighbours gorgeous mortgage lifter tomato.( I hope that is correct, she will correct me if I am wrong)

I simply grilled the eggplant, then tossed it through pasta adding
 fresh tomato,
Kalamata olives
Basil leaves
Pangitata
shaved parmasan
cracked black pepper
Balsamic Vinegar*
olive oil

I also dressed the pasta with balsamic vinegar  and olive oil  *My tip* (look for 4 leaves on the bottle of vinegar and made in Modena, this is a  sweeter more syrupy grade of balsamic, and great with parmasan) 
 
Pangritata.

*My tip* I love this one. I keep a day old roll in the freezer and take it out frozen and grate it, it's easy and I always have breadcrumbs on hand. Also it's frozen so it's easy to grate.

1 cup of fresh breadcrumbs*
3 tablespoons of olive oil 
4 garlic cloves
1/2 red chilli deseeded and finely chopped
several sprigs of thyme
(parsley would be great I didn't have any in the garden)
Grana padano parmasan cheese handful.

in a frying pan heat the oil, add the minced garlic, herbs and chilli, cook for 1 minute add the breadcrumbs coat well with all the oil. If you need more oil add it. The breadcrumbs need to be crispy. take off the heat add the parmasan.

*you could use anchovy as well just fry it off till melted in the first step.






 



5 comments:

  1. Love the beetroot recipe. I think the cottage cheese idea is divine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The picture of beets is amazing, but the thought of eating beets makes me throw up in my mouth a little bit. Will your kids eat beets? That's awesome if they do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love beets, Bea will eat them. Phoenix would probably rather have spiders crawl all over him, and Eliza maybe.
    I think beets in a can give them a bad reputation, they are better freshly cooked or even grated raw in salad.
    But if you don't like them then I guess that's hard to change.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please note there was an alteration made to the original post cremolata replaced with the word pangritata. Thank you Elisabetta. Gremolata was what I meant however in checking it usually does not contain breadcrumbs.
    Thank you for keeping me on my toes xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your bread roll trick! That's a good one.

    ReplyDelete