Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Chickpea, buckwheat bread and it's gluten free.

I had posted up some photos of this loaf on facebook recently and requests came in for the recipe. This recipe is not my own but from a book called, Good without gluten.
I will warn you that you will need to visit a health food store and an Asian grocer and you may never have had the need for Tapioca or potato starch. in my house these things are just a part of my staples.
I don't suggest that you purchase the starches at a health food store as they are really pricey. I would also note that there is a difference between potato flour and potato starch, don't substitute. The Asian stores stock rice flour and the starches so try them first. Ohh and you may be asking what the heck is xanthan gum? It is a vegetable gum that will act like gluten so you cannot make this bread without it. Xanthum gum is available in the gluten free aisle in the supermarket or the health food store.

Chickpea-buckwheat bread.

Preparation time: 15 min
Resting time: 30 min


Cooking time: 35 min

435 ml (1 3/4 cups) water
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp cider vinegar
3 eggs
125g chickpea flour ( besan flour)
50g buckwheat flour
100g rice flour
125g tapioca starch
125g potato starch,( not potato flour)
2 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
3 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
1 tbsp dried yeast.

Preheat oven to 180 deg c ( 350 deg f/ gas 4)

Mix together the water, oil, vinegar and eggs in a mixer.
In another bowl combine the flours, starches, salt, sugar, yeast and xanthan gum.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix for 2 minutes on a low speed.
Pour the dough into a greased loaf tin ( I use a large one)
Smooth it out with wet hands.
Cover with a dry cloth and let it proof for 30 minutes at room temperature.
Bake for 30-35 minutes, it should sound be golden and hollow sounding when tapped.
Turn the bread out immediately to prevent moisture condensing in the tin and making the loaf soggy. 
 As with any bread, the loaf should rest for at least 45 minutes before cutting.
This is so good eaten fresh, you can toast it too but you'll probably have none left.


2 comments:

  1. I never ever make bread as we eat mostly gluten-free and it always seemed too hard. But I still love my bread, so I will definitely give this a try. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lets not end on that note! loving the blog posts, as always x x Samantha x x Im making the meringue for my brother, christmas day, thanks IB :D

    ReplyDelete